Thursday, January 29, 2009

Late at Night [+ my ode to Obama]

I am my mother's daughter. I think the most at night; deep, pensive, questioning, self-depreciating  stuff. 

I have to settle an inner demon. I am in the middle of yet another quarter-life crisis. I've told a close one that it never ends, not even when you reach 21. To note though, I don't think I have ever come out honestly about how much turmoil this wandering chameleon goes through. 

So here goes. I've gone from wanting to be president, to a math nerd finding her inner trashed up rebel, then went into science, freaked out and transferred into media, got bored and shimmied into business, barelled my way to the high boards of finance and fell atop high art. Its been confusing, going into a new mode every 2 years or so. I have wished many times I'd just decide and stick with it. There are just so many options, and I somehow seem to pull them off every time by the skin of my teeth. 

Perhaps I have never hit it sqarely on the head, but now I can rest easy that I have said it out loud; No, I don't know what I am going to do with myself. I'm not brilliant, I'm just very persistent. 

It's not all boo-hooing, weepy, i-can't-do-it though. This month, the arty persistence has paid off in a wonderful show opening next week, 4th FEB 2009.

The Lens Factory [and its curator] presents Catherine Farquharson, documentor of Prom Night in Mississippi. Ten years ago, Morgan Freeman, who lived in the community of Charleston, had offered to fund the first ever interracial Senior Prom in the history of the town's only high school. 

His offer was ignored. 

In 2008, Freeman offered again. This time, the local school board accepted. 

Ta dah. I'm proud of this one. I'm pulling out all the bells and whistles. We're going to interview, publicise, push and nag for more coverage, not because its Black History Month here in Toronto, but because I wouldn't have it any other way. 

You can take a look here. 


No comments: