Sunday, January 11, 2009

Gallery Exhibit #1

I curated my first show last night at the gallery. It was a successful launch, with about 90 glasses of wine sold, and a couple of bottles of water for $2 each. The crowd finished 6 packs of fancy cheese, two packs of duck liver pate and 2 party-sized dips with veg. 

We happened to have a spot open on the wall, so I exhibited too. I was up front with another artist. I also had to take pictures of guests to put up on a couple of publications, since it was a group show, and is considered a pretty big thing in the art world here in Toronto. At least in  the west queen west gallery district anyway. Matt bought me a monopod for the event and I used it until it got too crowded. The windows fogged up the front display and I had to wrangle with a couple of artists so we could move it inside, which is like trying to talk to a bunch of over-eager A-students to give away an extra credit. People were schmoozing, I met a friend who was in the same boating class as I, and we got 124 bucks at the end of it from tips. 

Several glasses of pinot noir, a deep conversation with two crazy women and 28 pictures of guests later, I realised I was exhibiting that night. I wasn't just serving alcohol and hanging up coats. I was the curator and one of my pictures was in the front. 

Matt was with me for the entire show, and I will probably not forget this. When I look back, it feels grander than I allowed it to be at the time. 

PS: Good news on the banking job-thing. I met up with a ceo of a private m&a company here and there might be a job for me at a pretty big american bank exactly in time with my PR application. Its a foot in the door that most people would kill for. Its all theoretical, but it might just happen. 

No comments: